Sunday, February 6, 2011

Inspiration

I'm trying to be more specific on what I like, design-wise. Like everyone else in America, I love Pottery Barn, just not the price. So I've enlisted the help of my younger cousin Doug, a carpenter in training, to make me a few pieces since he doesn't have much else going on for projects in school. I can't find the picture of the mantle I showed him, but it's going to be a really cool piece when he's done with it.
The other project, (which he says is easier?) is this headboard:


The "Mason" headboard from potterybarn.com

We would never spend close to $1000 for a headboard, but if Dougie can make it, sign us up!

If we are ever blessed with the opportunity to buy a home, ideally our dream house would be an older farmhouse with awesome wood flooring and cabinets. While we're on the subject of dreaming....

Ahh the ideal craft space!
Dang Pottery Barn and their idealistic/unrealistic design schemes.

Ok back to reality.


This desk is a little more on the "real" side. Only $115 on http://www.cymaxstores.com/
Not sure of the quality but I love the style and the price is right. It also doesn't take up tons of space, which we don't have much to sacrifice in the living room.

I really like ladders in decor.

I picked up a mini ladder, solely for decorative use, at a dollar store a few months back. It's been leaning against a wall looking dumb for the past five months so I googled "uses for old ladders." I like the ideas!

I might use this idea.


Finding the right place in my house is really the challenge.

It could work in the living room, but I feel like I have a lot going on already, so it may have to wait until that old farmhouse comes along...

As for other inspirations, I do love a little bit of
Anthropologie now and then. Again, they are outrageous price wise but they do make for great DIY challenges.

I'll keep working on the valances and pillows, (which I had to buy other fabric for because I was too late on the first one, it had already sold out) and probably calling Katie to help with the rest of the ideas!



No comments:

Post a Comment